Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

Dear Dr, I have had a rash on my 2 forearms for just over a

Customer Question

Dear Dr,
I have had a rash on my 2 forearms for just over a year now which started all of a sudden and very quickly flared up. Rash was in clusters of small blisters, arms were swollen and inflamed, itch was unbearable night and day, could not get any relief from anything.
It gradually spread to part of my body and my scalp, wherever there has been a little trauma to my skin over the years, rash is worse in that area. Its absolutely horrendous!
Eventually seen a dermatologist NHS dermatologist after 3 months. Was put on 6 months course of steroids, gradually reducing to zero. Rash disappeared for sometimes and has gradually come back all over my body, this time in form of eczema/psoarisis. Itch continues non stop. Using Balneum wash, Clobetasone for the body and Eumovate for the perineal area.
I am 63 of age, female. Had only neck and shoulder pain due to injuries, prior to the rash my GP had commenced me on some anti-depressant meds for arthritis in neck. had only taken for 2 weeks when the rash appeared.
since then has seen my dermatologist x3, biopsy was taken while on steroids.
diagnosis made as Discoid eczema.
Have an appointment for allergy test next December.
I would like to know if food or any other allergies is a contributing factor to this type of eczema. Is there anything that i should avoid or use to help the symptoms.
I am worried in case it spreads to my face and affects the skin in the same way as on my body. Because the rash has made my skin wrinkly and old looking + sensation in my tissue is reduce except the itch continues.
Why does it take so long for an allergy test, when perhaps it could have been triggered by some food which could have been avoided right from start.
please could you help?
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

do you have a pic?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
this is correct

I cannot do a phone call.

Can you attach a pic?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
will have to continue later as cannot stay on line for longer

okay

just click send to reply