Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I'm 30 years of age. The last few times I've passed a stool

I'm 30 years of age. The last few times I've passed a stool I have noticed it is brown with darker brown, alost purplish areas on the outer. Otherwise, the stool is a normal consistency and no change in bowel movements.
The only change to my diet is I am taking folic acid and zinc supplements as we are trying to conceive.
I don't have any pain. I had a little lower bowel discomfort at the start of my menstrual cycle (more a feeling of needing to urinate) and mild ovulation pain but this has subsided.
Any help on whethe the stool colours are anything to be alarmed about would be useful.
Many thanks,
Rachel
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

it is normal for your stools to have these colors of brown and dark brown and purplish areas.

these are caused by the foods you are eating.

they are not a sign of disease or problems.

you can keep a food diary of what you are eating and this can help you explain some of the color changes of your stool.

but I would not be worried.

you can feel safe and continue to take your supplements and work on conceiving a baby.

you don't have to worry

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com