Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I have been suffering from a feeling of weakness in both my

Hi, i have been suffering from a feeling of weakness in both my thighs at the front. They feel tired all the time. It can sometimes feel like a slight burning sensation. A few weeks ago my lower back went into spasm and an osteopath advised that i had a bulging disc in the L5 S1 region. Could this be coming from my lower back? I did feel a slight weakness before but its got more noticeable since my back went. I also would note that before all this i was walking every night anything between 6 to 10k and i have not done this for weeks now. I had a full blood count test done last week and all the results were normal. If there was something else going on would my blood work show this? I will also add that i do suffer from health anxiety that comes and goes so this feeling in my legs is making me very worked up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question.

I am Dr.AK and I would be glad to assist you with your concerns today.

This is most likely to be due to a condition known as lumbar canal stenosis where the nerves traveling through the lumbar spine get compressed because of the decreased diameter of the spinal canal.

The feeling of weakness in thighs is known as neurogenic claudication.

You need to have a MRI of lumbo sacral spine to confirm the pathology.

The disc bulge at l5 s1 can be contributing to lumbar canal stenosis.

Please reply if you need any clarification.

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

This is unlikely to be related to anxiety though the condition may be increasing your anxiety.

Other possible cause can be decreased blood supply to lower limbs but less likely as usually pain with decreased blood supply is felt in the legs and feet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So i shouldnt just rely on the advice of the osteopath? I thought that maybe going from being active and walking from nothing due to my back would somehow effect the condition of the muscles? Make them feel weaker?If there was something else going on would you expect to see something in the bloods?Thanks.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for replying.

Not being active would not cause weakness in thighs and neither would it cause burning sensation.These are likely to be nerve related symptoms.

Blood tests would be normal as this is not a metabolic or biochemical disorder.This is more like a mechanical disorder which causes the nerve s to get compressed.

If something else like electrolyte disturbance was responsible it would show on blood tests.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. I get so worked up thinking it could be a spinal tumour, but the pain in my back is actually improving and has never got any worse? I am trying to control my anxiety i know this wont be helping.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Spinal tumor is a rare diagnosis compared to lumbar canal stenosis and you have not described anything which would suggest one.

Get it treated properly and that should help bring down your anxiety.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your time today.