Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I think my husband may be suffering from Aspergillosis.

Customer Question

I think my husband may be suffering from Aspergillosis. However all tests ond x-rays of lungs and heart show allclear. He does have bronchial problems. But out of the home his breathing is practically clear. In the home his breathing is very bad, he suffers sweats (but no temperature) coughs thick phlegm. Dr. gave him antibiotics. but the symptoms return. Outside the home he is fine. We have moss on the roof, the surrounding grounds are damp.No mould was seen in the home.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry your husband are having these symptoms.

he should get a chest CT Scan of his chest which is much more detailed than a chest xray

he should get a sputum culture of the thick phlegm he coughs up to check for bacteria or fungus in the lungs.

some bacterial infections can be resistant to certain antibiotics.

doctors can be resistant to use CT scans in the UK because of their cost, but they are much much more detailed in the lungs compared to a chest xray.

chest xrays are from 1940s sort of technology.

sputum cultures are not that expensive and should be performed for him

let me know if you have questions.