Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I had a bile duct replacement in 2010 with part of the small

I had a bile duct replacement in 2010 with part of the small intestine and have had various problems since then. Every few weeks I get shivering from inflammation and feel exhausted with 'liver flu' and nausea. When I take antibiotics it helps but does not solve the problem. I get annoying fatigue. I am an energetic person and this is hampering me! I am 73. The liver levels are raised when tested but nothing has shown up on liver X-ray or other scans. What can you suggest I should do? I often fall asleep after eating. Should I have a smaller meals? I don't drink or smoke and lead a healthy diet with lots of fruit and vegetables. Any advice would be received with gratitude. Thank you! Rowsn Malcolm (Ms)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Some consultants told me it was probably bile duct blockage but I know by stool colour that there is enough bile and my digestion is fine!
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

any other medical issues Rowan?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Cholestoral was 6.4 am on simvastatin now

Did they scan the area or look at the liver/ducts to make sure there is no issue?

how long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Generally I think I am pretty strong and healthy but have to overcome this chronic liver problem. Try to exercise but am slower and more tired. I did walk 500 miles pilgrimage in 2015 though!

Very good job on the 500 miles!

Did you see my questions above?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry didn't see it! Royal Free did lots of tests and said all was fine, dismissed me in 2012. Have had an X-ray here said liver is OK also the ring scan thing. All ok consultant said it was intermittent duct blockage
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I live in Wales now - Aberystwyth
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In between bouts of liver problem I am fine, get problems more often now about 5 or 6 times a year
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Am going to have another blood test end of next week to check levels, had one 2 weeks ago when it was bad and showed raised levels
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had op in 2010 when the duct was cut by mistake and reconstructed. Got ill again and had another op in June 2011.

I think you need some follow up imaging of the liver.

it has been a long time

I would suggest an ultrasound or MRCP (if they will agree to order one)

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** suggest that to my practice. This liver 'flu' feeling is debilitating and I would like to know what part of the liver or duct is affected. Also I am not keen to have antibiotics so often but if I don't take them it gets worse. Anyway Dr Phil and goodbye !