Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

My nearly 3 year old daughter was in hospital in june with

Customer Question

my nearly 3 year old daughter was in hospital in june with pneumonia, for 10 days she had a wheeze it would not go, along with a high heart rate and low oxygen levels,this was her 3rd time with pneumonia so they ran some blood tests,it showed she is mannose binding lectin defieciency,shes did a repeat blood test to confirm if she has mbl deficiency because the dr thinks it might have showed she has mbl deficeincy before due to her having pneumonia,is this possibe because i thought it was genetic,and what does this mean for her if the test comes back that she has it,will she ba able to go school,nursery have a normal job?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry about your daughter having this genetic condition of mannose binding lectin deficiency.

if she has this condition, she can be more prone to infections.

but she can grow up and go to school and have a normal job.

she can have fewer infections if everyone close to her washes their hands and keeps areas clean of virus and bacteria

she will need to learn to keep her hands away from her face to prevent catching infections.

http://www.piduk.org/static/media/up/MBLdeficiency.pdf

is more information.

let me know if you have questions.