Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

What is the difference between Nerve Conduction Studies/EMG

Customer Question

What is the difference between Nerve Conduction Studies/EMG and a Lumbar Puncture test?Apart from they both find nerve and muscle conditions.
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

Electromyography and nerve conduction studies help to determine whether muscle weakness, sensory loss, or both.

Nerve conduction studies measure the speed at which motor or sensory nerves conduct impulses.

For a lumbar puncture, a sample of cerebrospinal fluid is withdrawn with a needle and sent to a laboratory for examination.

The cerebrospinal fluid is checked for evidence of infections, tumors, and bleeding in the brain and spinal cord.

For further details please go through links-

http://www.pfneurology.com/diagnostic-testing.html

http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/brain,-spinal-cord,-and-nerve-disorders/symptoms-and-diagnosis-of-brain,-spinal-cord,-and-nerve-disorders/tests-for-brain,-spinal-cord,-and-nerve-disorders

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Which test is better for Neuropathic pain?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Electromyography and nerve conduction studies is better test for neuropathic pain.

You should see a neurologist for further investigations.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What would be the reason to do a Lumbar Puncture test if you had already done a NCS/EMG first and that showed you had no nerve or muscle conditions?

Lumbar puncture might be suggested if there is any suspicion of infection,abnormal growth in spinal cord resulting in chronic nerve pain.

However chances are usually less in most of the cases.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I developed severe and apparently permanent adverse reactions as a result of Hepatitis B vaccine.
About 4 years ago I was completely healthy and very athletic before this vaccination and have now
suffered severe, debilitating autoimmune side effects from this vaccine. Such as getting joint pain,
and a limited range of motion when I lift weights in the gym, only on one side of the body, not in
both shoulders at once, just the left, previously I had no shoulder problems, I used to lift 100KG but
now I get joint pain when I lift 50KG and these started after vaccination. There's a measurable loss in
stamina before the vaccine to how I am now, I experience breathlessness much earlier when I do
cardiovascular exercise then before I had the vaccine. I have chronic fatigue and it is not improved by
getting rest. I have a dry persistent cough when there's nothing to bring up.I have a severe constant ache whenever I'm sitting down, it's on
the upper left side of my abdomen, next to my stomach and behind my left ribs, it's always in the same place.
This place hurts when I'm using my laptop or when I'm watching TV or when I'm sitting on the bus. Sometimes
I get sharp stabbing pain on the left side of my stomach. The ache seems to dissapear after I stand up. I
suffered the residual effects of all these symptoms for more than 4 years.What should I do (next)? Nerve Conduction Studies/EMG or Lumbar Puncture or something else?

I understand your concern.

And you should see a neurologist or Rheumatologist for a clinical examination to treat such symptoms.

They are more specialized in treating such chronic pain.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Why would I need to see a Rheumatologist?

As you have debilitating autoimmune symptoms with normal NCV and EMG studies results so Rheumatologist is also specialized in treating such symptoms such as joints pain,limited range of motion,shoulder problems.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I haven't had any tests done for NCV and EMG though

Sorry for confusion.

As per your previous reply-What would be the reason to do a Lumbar Puncture test if you had already done a NCS/EMG first and that showed you had no nerve or muscle conditions?

So I thought you had already done them.

If you didn't undergo such testing then you can firstly undergo NCV/EMG.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What's the difference between Central Nervous System and Peripheral Nervous System?

The central nervous system(CNS) contains the brain and the spinal cord.

The PNS(Peripheral nervous system) is everything else. So the nerves that run down your arms and legs. The ones that innervate your organs, contribute to metabolism, muscle contractions, and pain reception.

PNS contains the nerves, which leave the brain and the spinal cord and travel to certain areas of the body. The PNS main job is to send information gathered by the body's sensory receptors to the CNS as quickly as possible. Once the CNS has understood the information, the PNS will relay the specific orders back out the body. The nerves that carry impulse to and are carrying information from the spine are called spinal nerves.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NCS/EMG is PNS and Lumbar Puncture is CNS?

Yes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
because my pain is on the upper left side of my abdomen, next to my stomach and behind my left ribs, is it a Central Nervous System problem or Peripheral Nervous System problem?

It can be organ originated or PNS originated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I showed my GP the area of the pain and he said it's the spleen. What's the difference between organ originated or PNS originated?

Yes,possibly it's organ originated pain as the location you describe.

It's a complex to define the exact difference and all systems work together.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If it's organ originated pain, then will NCS/EMG or Lumbar Puncture pick it up on the test?

Ultrasound/CT scan help in diagnose the cause of organ originated pain.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My doctor has arranged for a Ultrasound scan, if it is normal then does it mean it's not a organ related problem but a nerve or muscle related problem in which case I'd have to do NCS/EMG?

Yes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Which one is better an Ultrasound or CT scan for abdominal pain?

Investigations are advised step by step.

first ultrasound and then CT scan.

As your doctor has arranged for ultrasound so you should go for it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When would the CT scan be arranged, if Ultrasound is normal or if Ultrasound indicates a problem?

In both of conditions,it depends on doctor's choice.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Isn't CT scans used for bony structures and Ultrasound for internal organs? Why would I need CT scan?

No,It's CT abdomen.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What's the difference between CT abdomen and Ultrasound abdomen?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Who diagnoses Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which one is it a Rheumatologist or Neurologist?

Rheumatologist

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Who diagnoses Neuropathic pain, is it a Neurologist or somebody else?

Either Rheumatologist or Neurologist or both.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How long does it take to get Ultrasound scan results?

Same day.

Usually just after ultrasound performed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When does the GP get the results?

Possibly same day.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Who diagnoses chronic pain syndrome?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a severe constant pain whenever I'm sitting down, it's on the upper
left side of my abdomen, it's always in the same place. I showed the location of the pain to my GP and he said it's the spleen. This place hurts when I'm using my laptop or when
I'm watching TV orwhen I'm sitting on the bus. The pain is related to muscle movement and
positional. Sometimes I get sharp stabbing pain on the left side of
my stomach. The pain seems to dissapear after I stand up. I know it's not my stomach because when I eat, I can feel the food go down my system normally but then I sometimes get the upper left abdominal pain, it is different I can feel the stomach processing food and the upper left abdominal pain both at the same time, and they are in two different locations.1) Should I see a Neurologist or Gastroenterologists?
2) What tests would a Gastroentrologist do? I've had normal blood tests done and it all came out fine. I'm having an Ultrasound scan soon.