Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and taking 50mg of sertraline a day to

Customer Question

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and taking 50mg of sertraline a day to manage depression and mild anxiety. As my BMI is 39 and this is my first child, I have been prescribed 75mg of aspirin a day to help prevent pre eclampsia. The perscription has only just gone through and I have read the leaflet and some stuff online which explains the effects might increase if taken with SSRI.
My blood pressure and urine tests thus far have been absolutely fine and baby's heart rate is also as it should be - no concerns in that department as yet. My mother did have pregnancy induced blood clots after I was born and had to inject every day while pregnant with my siblings.
I'm worried about bleeding too much either while giving birth or having a c section due to the increased effect of blood thinning. So my question is what is the higher risk here - I don't take the aspirin and develop preeclampsia or I do take it and bleed too much while or before giving birth, causing me / my baby harm or death. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

There is a slight risk.

However I would just monitor and would not worry too much.

We always have to weigh the risks against the benefits and benefits far outweigh the risks in your case.