Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have had shingles. I have taken the course of tablets and

Customer Question

I have had shingles. I have taken the course of tablets and the rash on my left leg is going. The course finished about two weeks ago. I played golf on Wednesday and my left leg ached a bit. However the lower part of my left leg is now very painful and I can hardly walk. I have been taking 400mg Ibuprofen which starts to help but actually makes very little difference.
I Jan 2012 I developed shin splints in my left leg. I assume this came from playing a veterans' squash match the previous weekend.
So is my leg pain due to the shingles or a re-occurrence of my shin splints.
Is there something more affective that I can take to help me?
Michael age 69.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 12 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Sorry to hear about your symptoms. The extreme pain is due to the inflammation of the nerves supplying your lower leg. Shingles affect your nerves. Although the rash is gone, the pain and inflammation can remain for several weeks. Ibuprofen higher dose 800 mg 3 times daily with food can be tried. Better will be to try any of the following prescription medications. Gabapentin 300 mg 3 times daily is very good to control nerve related pain. Pregabalin is another good alternative. Narcotic pain medication like Hydrocodone or tramadol also can be used effectively to control your pain. Please discuss with your doctor about these options.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
very good thank you.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 12 months ago.

Very welcome

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile: