Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am struggling with a number of symptoms that have been

I am struggling with a number of symptoms that have been either getting worse or staying netral last few months to last 12.
In the last week I have also started taking iron tablets which have made the constipation, bloating, and weight gain worse in the list but helped the shakes.
Symptoms are:
Difficulty sleeping
Numbness in fingers on hand and feet
Shakes
Dizziness
Hot flushes
Very sensitive to the cold
Constant bloating
Constipation
Bad skin - last 12 months
Brittle nails - last 3 months
Dry flaky hair - last 6 months
Bad memory - forgets easily
Heartburn
Constant tiredness
Hunger pangs at odd times
Constant thirst
Heavy periods - much worse over last 12 months
Mood swings
Hyper vigilant
Loss of libedo
Stress problems - constantly anxious
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having all of these symptoms.

you should talk to your doctor about getting your thyroid hormone levels checked.

low thyroid hormones can cause weight gain, feeling cold, constipation, poor sleep, skin changes, fatigue.

you should ask your doctor about excessive anxiety symptoms or anxiety disorder which can cause dizziness, poor sleep, brain fog, anxiety.

you may benefit from going on birth control pills to help regulate your hormones and periods.

you should be checked for uterine fibroids which can cause heavy periods as well. a uterine ultrasound can check for fibroids.

have you had these tests?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've had no tests. I have been checked throughout my life for diabetes and my sugar levels are fine. I used to be overweight 5 years ago, but since then I've dropped to a Nearly healthy weight (about 8lbs off healthy bmi. I don't drink, smoke, or anything else. One thing I do a lot of, is drink water, I mean constantly all day long ..and still I feel thirsty. Which I don't think is helping with my water retention.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am celiac, and lactose intolerant.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yeah I considered it might be my thyroid. Is the constant bloating a serious symptom of anything bad? I mean sometimes I can bloat in water and bloat nearly a stone!

drinking plain water will not cause fluid retention. eating salt and female hormones sometimes can cause fluid retention during parts of the month.

you should keep drinking your water. try to cut down on your salt intake.

it sounds like you have to avoid gluten and milk and lactose and dairy

avoid sodas and processed foods and preseratives as well which can lead to bloating.

eating asparagus can be a natural diuretic which can help you get rid of some fluid out of your body. coffee and caffeine can help as a diuretic as well in some patients.

do get your thyroid hormone levels checked

see if going on a birth control pill can help your hormone swings.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It could give you water retention if your drinking sometimes 5 litres a day. I don't drink soda or anything else like that. Just decaf coffee or water.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Basically every single thing I eat in my day bloats me. Even salad.

it is the salt in your food which can cause you to retain fluid.

cutting down on salt can help

salad can be rough on your bowels

you may benefit from eating your vegetables cooked instead of raw. that is easier for your bowels to digest.

walking after dinner can help decrease some of the bloating as well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if I don't eat, I shake and feel like I'm going to pass out so I have to regardless of if I'm hungry or not.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yeah I'm going to ask my GP for some blood tests, maybe a full blood check and even thyroid and sugar would be wise.

yes, that is a good idea.

keep a food diary as well to see what foods cause worse symptoms

you can also try anti-gas medications like GasX or simethicone

and regular exercise and walking after you eat can help decrease bloating.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com