Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I just received oral from a partner along with doing kissing

Customer Question

I just received oral from a partner along with doing kissing (with tounge even though I was trying to keep his tounge away from mine) and did anal for a minute or 2 with a lubed latex condom and I'm extremely more frightened than I was before all of this, is it safe for me to rinse my mouth with listerine and also shower? I kept reading that it will make matters worse
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
by did anal I mean I gave it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is safe to rinse your mouth with listerine and to shower. There has been much myth about whether listerine or other mouthwashes helps or hurts, but there is no evidence that it makes a difference. Part of the reason that the myth has perpetuated is that it is difficult to perform a study to definitively prove that it does not alter the rate of transmission. But the current expert consensus is that there does not appear to be any risk or benefit to using mouthwash after the fact.

Of the actions that you performed, there is some risk associated with the protected insertive anal sex and the unprotected oral sex, although the risk is lower than what most people think is present. The risk is about 0.01% - 0.06%, if the partner was HIV positive. If the partner was of unknown HIV status, then your actual risk would be lower, by a factor that is the prevalence of HIV in your community.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know. The system says that you would like a phone call, so I will also send the Offer for Premium Services.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did my phone number get sent over to you?

It was a pleasure to assist you over the phone.

If you think of any additional questions, please let me know.