Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Can you Choke on Mucus in you throat when vomiting it up

Customer Question

Can you Choke on Mucus in you throat when vomiting it up even if you not lying down providing it's thick enough. like really, really thick. i have a clump sensation in my throat because of mucus, i wouldn't put it down to any condition, just heavy mucus. i feel eveing it up is the best way but haven't been successful yet. had it a week, and never had it as long as before. it goes away sometimes a little bit, i might feel ill as it makes me feel like i need to vomit then it returns in my throat. i was shaving round my adam's apple before the sensation occured. it seemed i dislodged excessive mucus by doing so as i never had problem before hand. i know you can only break you adams apple if cycling fast so i can't really see how it's a serious problem. i have tried ginger, water, steaming, all useless. i feel vomiting it up is the only way. but like 2nd advice.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Do you have any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have any medical issues.

do you have asthma, allergies or acid reflux?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
none

So you just want to know if you can choke on this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
well i want to get rid of it and was wondering if you got any tips? i wouldn't think it was acid reflux but can't be sure. i do know i suffer from anxiety which obviously can be a trigger. i was thinking if antibiotics might clear it up.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
one of the questions on my mind was is it possible for an adult male to choke on it and for it to be fatal in anyway if someone was not present. i know about aspiration but i know that's people who usually are asleep. i have saw some responses online who said that it doesn't fully block the airway so it's unlikely you can choke and die, but you can choke and passout? was wondering if it was true

No, this never really happens unless there is something wrong with the gag reflex or swallowing issues.

Adult, healthy people don't choke on this

I would start to look for triggers. Allergies and GERD are common causes of this.

Is this helpful?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
well you do restore my confidence. i do have a fear of things like vomiting, choking, fainting, because i suffer from severe anxiety disorder
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i got a silly little question, but as a doctor i am sure you won't judge me for it so i will ask it if you don't mind

No I don't mind :)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I feel that i masturbate a lot, and i feel this has something to do with increasing my phelgm production. now i am sure you will say there is no scientific evidence to support this, however i have noticed that when i have masturbated a lot i get lots of phelgm in my throat, so i am trying to cut down on it. sure it's healthy but it seems to be increasing mucus production. i have anxiety so maybe in some way it's trigger off my anxiety. i know masturbation can relax you, but i do know sometimes adverse effects can happen.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i know anxiety is linked in someway to gut bacteria and there is many other things always being discovered in science. was wondering if you got any guesses being a doctor why this is happening :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i guess my poor diet also has roles to play in this, i eat a lot of dairy and my body will act poorly, so i suppose it can act weirdly or different to normal situations.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i am not sure what part of the body you are specialized in or if you have enough knowledge to answer my question, but i would still like an answer :)

Well masturbation increases parasympathetic nervous sytem tone. So this can cause mucous production

So that is possible

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it seems you know what you are talking about, most doctors would have acted like i was crazy or something :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do you recommend i cut down on it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
may you expand on what is a parasympathetic nervous system tone? not too familiar with that.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i don't have any pics of my throat or anything, it's not swollen or anything, it's just the feeling inside my throat and the mucus excess that is the problem. i have found you helpful, can you expand on the PNS? or get any links as a connection between PNS and Masturbation?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
got*

It is like the resting side of your nervous system

Your digestion increases, you make more saliva, etc

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well Thank you doctor, you have been helpful, one last question before we finish? do i stop masturbating so much and do i vomit up the phelgm?

welcome :)

try to cut back and see

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, i will Cut back from the Masturbating and i will see what happens when vomiting up Well it's been a pleasant talking to you Phil Mcgraw, Have a Good day! :)

haha. No I'm the real doc phil :)