Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have atrial fibrillation and did a lot of walking today

I have atrial fibrillation and did a lot of walking today and my fingers swelled up they're still swollen and painful what might be the cause?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 months ago.

Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 months ago.

Can you please elaborate your question a little more.
Since how long are you having this problem?
Do you have any other medical problems?
Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?
Have you been seen for this?
Any tests done?
Please let me know.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have had atrial fibrillation diagnosed for approx one month the swelling in my fingers is new. I have asthma, high blood pressure and cholesterol and ptsd. I am currently on two different medications for the blood pressure, one for the cholesterol, inhalers for the asthma and two different medications for the ptsd. Also taking antibiotics as I have gallstones and they think they caused an infection. My heart rate is often over 100 bpm even at rest. I have been seen by my gp for every thing bar the swelling of my fingers. I have had blood tests done and ecgs awaiting a heart scan and gallbladder operation.Hope this is enough detail.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 months ago.

Can you please enumerate all the medications that you are on at the moment.

Please let me know.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Aripiprazole 5mg in the morning, Atorvastatin 40mg at night except while on antibiotics, lansoprazole 30mg in the morning, lisinopril 5mg in the morning, mirtazapine 45mg at night, angitil 180mg sr one in the morning and one at night, relvar elipta 184/22 inhaler one puff in the morning, clarithromycin 250mg 2 twice a day for 5 days and salbutamol inhaler two puffs when required.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your responses.

I think that being on angitil 180 mg is something that can also cause swelling like what you are having in the fingers, however, I would like that you should have arthritis (rheumatoid arthritis) considered and ruled out by blood tests, if that has not already been done.

Meanwhile heart scans would also be important as a reduced function of the heart can also cause such kind of swelling.

So we will have to wait and see what the results of the heart scans are.

To summarize I think that the following conditions need to be considered in your case:

1. Swelling as a result of side effects to medications (you may have been on a medication for a long period of time but this particular side effects can happen even after years of taking a medication and not straight away).

2. Arthritis

3. Heart disease leading to a weak heart.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine