How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18448
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

My doctor has diagnosed me with acne rosacia. I have been on

Resolved Question:

My doctor has diagnosed me with acne rosacia. I have been on a few courses of antibiotics which have been a little hit and miss. I don't want to be taking lots of medication and have tried natural creams instead of medication. Nothing is helping and it's getting worse but my doctor won't refer me to a dermatologist. I only want confirmation as to the diagnosis and to understand what is available to help minimise it. I am happy to pay. I have tried looking to see if there is anyone locally but struggling to locate a dermatologist. Please can you advise how I can move forward. I am 43 in a senior role and this condition is making me increasingly self conscious about my appearance and it's also very sore. Thank you. Sherin
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the area?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

I had asked for a picture and have not heard back.

Without seeing a picture, the best that I can say is what you already know - it would be reasonable for the next step to be consultation with a Dermatologist.

To be able to find a Dermatologist near you, there are a number of search engines available on the internet that can help, such as at and at

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry I have not responded, I have had IT issues therefore, my picture isn't very good quality but I have attached one taken this evening anyway. I look forward to receiving your response.
Best Regards
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the picture.

Although the quality of the image limits how much I can zoom in on the image, this does have the appearance of acne rosacea.

The appearance also shows a significant amount of inflammation. If antibiotics are not sufficient, then using a medicine that suppresses the immune reaction would be an option, such as tacrolimus. Retin-A gel also may be helpful. The Dermatologist also can use laser treatment for some of the more severe areas.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. It is very inflamed, very sore to touch and very lumpy. The lumps are hard but they are filled. It's getting me down and I don't even like my daugh ear or husband to see me without make up. I have to speak in front of large groups of people on a very regular basis and I am becoming increasingly self conscious. I am returning to my doctors next week where I will ask for the third time for a referral to a dermatologist. If they say no, I guess I just need to sort out an appointment mysel. Maybe with a dietician too?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Or seek an appointment with a Dermatologist privately.

There are some people that have dietary triggers that exacerbate acne rosacea, such as spicy foods, caffeine, or alcohol, and keeping a diet diary to try to identify those triggers and meeting with a dietician to discuss those triggers may be helpful. But there is no diet that will help everyone with acne rosacea.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

You are most welcome.

Please remember to provide a positive rating, so that I am credited for assisting you.

Dr. D. Love and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you