DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I had a back jaw tooth extracted on Wed 21 inst which took

Customer Question

Dear Sir,
I had a back jaw tooth extracted on Wed 21 inst which took the best part of 45 minutes in the chairas a result I had a major swelling on that side of my mouth and was given a presciption for Amoxicillin500 mg , I have been in considerable pain and discomfort since and have taken regular doses of paracetamol to offset this condition. The swelling is as bad as ever and the wound although not bleeding has not closed up yet and does,nt look very healthy.I have been like this 4 days with little improvement.Where do I go from here.I will try and see my dentist tomorrow but I don,t have much faith in him. Frankly I think he made a mess of it.
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear about this

It seems like their is a possible infection at the extraction site. I would suggest that you should take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen to reduce the pain and swelling along with PPI like Omeprazole. Normally there are anaerobic bacteria in the mouth as well and it is better to give metronidazole as well after such procedures. At times the pain can take a little longer to settle down. So for now I would advise that you should add Ibuprofen to your current treatment and when you see the doctor tomorrow discuss about adding metronidazole to cover for anaerobic organism.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I have a hearing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
problem

Sorry to hear about this

It seems like their is a possible infection at the dental extraction site. I would suggest that you should take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen to reduce the pain and swelling along with PPI like Omeprazole. Normally there are anaerobic bacteria in the mouth as well and it is better to give metronidazole as well after such procedures. At times the pain can take a little longer to settle down. So for now I would advise that you should add Ibuprofen to your current treatment and when you see the doctor tomorrow discuss about adding metronidazole to cover for anaerobic organism.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I h ave now started taking I buprofen, I take it metronidazole is a stronger antibiotic which I will need on prescription from my dentist.
Thankyou for your advice, I hope to feel better tomorrow, this has been the most painful extraction I have ever had and I have had a lot of dental work done in my life.

You are welcome

Wish you a speedy recovery