Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I hope you can help. I am a 37 year old male. About six

Hi, I hope you can help. I am a 37 year old male. About six weeks ago I fell and had a severe headache, I went to my bed for a sleep and when I awoke the left hand side of my body was weak, in particular my arm and I was dragging my foot slightly when I walked. After a couple of days with no improvement I went to the hospital. I have had and MRI (which was clear), the arteries in my neck were checked and they were clear. They suspected a TIA and I have been on clopidogrel and statins since The symptoms got better in my arm and leg with the exception of my hand and fingers which are still numb. Also my arm had been incredibly itchy. Last night I had to call an ambulance. I went to bed and as I sat on the bed my left arm went into spasim, it felt like my whole left hand side was having an electric shock, I ended up on the floor and could not move for a few minutes. The paramedics checked me over, my heart and blood pressure were fine, pulse was slightly raised. They said it did not appear to be neurological or a heart attack (which is what I thought I was having). I feel fine this morning. I'm very worried though, what on earth could this be? I am worried it is MS or ALS.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

What specialists have you seen for this?

Have you seen a Neurologist either during the initial visit to the hospital or since that time?

Are you taking any medicines for any other medical problems? Or are you only taking the clopidogrel and statin?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

The primary issue in this situation would be whether these symptoms are related to a neurologic disease. The presentation does not sound like ALS. MS can present with a wide variety of symptoms. There also can be a variety of symptoms that can be related to conditions affecting the blood vessels to the brain.

The fact that the paramedics said that it did not appear to be neurologic or cardiac is reassuring, but it would be better to have an evaluation by a Neurologist, if you have not already been seen.

If the Neurologist also thinks that this is not neurologic in origin, then it would be appropriate to consider certain systemic and metabolic conditions that can mimic neurologic disease, particularly certain endocrine problems, such as thyroid or adrenal disease. It is also possible that any neurologic condition can be caused by anxiety or depression, even to the point that it can mimic a stroke, but we typically only consider neurologic diseases to be due to anxiety or depression after neurologic and systemic/metabolic conditions have been excluded.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. And sorry for the late reply. I am in the UK so we are out of sync with time difference. I am not on any other medication. I have seen a neurologist, he arranged the MRI, he also had the arteries in my neck scanned and put me on a mobile heart monitor for 4 days. I am due to see him again on the 4th October. He does not know about the episode this weekend as of yet. Could what had happened this weekend be connected to the TIA I had 6 weeks ago? And if so is that normal for a TIA? Or is it more likely not to have been a TIA at all and the two events are related to another condition? am I likely to suffer from another attack like this?

Yes, it is possible that what happened this weekend could be related to the previous TIA, in that there could be another TIA. A TIA would more commonly cause muscle weakness, but there can be associated muscle spasm. The assessment by the paramedics that this did not appear to be neurologic in origin would speak against this episode being a TIA, so I would consider that less likely, but as I said above, an assessment by a Neurologist would be more accurate than the assessment by the paramedics.

Until the nature of the episode can be clarified, it is difficult to predict a likelihood of recurrence.