Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Biliary surgery I had cholesystectomy 4 weeks ago. I left

Biliary surgeryI had cholesystectomy 4 weeks ago.I left hospital morning after, and felt good for 2 weeks. Felt a bit better and no pains inside, just a few dizzy spells some days.Exactly 2 weeks afterwards, I woke lightheaded and feeling sick. later on I began vomiting and continued so that I couldn't keep water down. I went back to hospital. They said maybe gastroent, but I still doubt that. I had an MRi to check for any leftover stones. Said it was clear, maybe I passed a leftover. I was still sick feeling, I stayed 2 nights and came hime once I had eaten a bit.Since then I have felt poorly, lightheaded often, pale, stomach often making uncomfortable gurgles (not v painful, but not comofrtable). I don't have to have eaten for the discomfort.BM have come back a bit more since all the surgery drugs (constipation). They are a bit softer than before surgery, and maybe a bit more at once.Main concern is the lightheaded, pale complexion, and a pain now below all the incision sights, quite a sore pain, a bit like a pulsing hot pain but if I dig my fingers in I can't seem to touch whatever it is. Also some sharp pains which make me jump, on right hand abdomen, just bit further below the ribs where the gallbladder pain used to be.On some forums I can see quite a few people have problems after surgery. I felt one of the lucky ones for 2 weeks. But now, I feel like I have either made something worse, or there's some issue with my body trying to adjust.I am wondering what could be causing this annoying pulsing pain which comes on whether I eat or not.My GP has been awful. She didn't even triage me the day I had to call an ambulance as they wouldn't see me before 11. I keep getting the same one, and last time asked her whether I have more or less bile going to intestine and she didn't know. She keeps saying things like the only issue is because I had a fright with surgery, and I need to eat regularly. I do that. She keeps saying I must want to get back to work...I feel so sick.Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Do you still need help on this question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks

have you had any follow up blood work?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had bloods for the vomiting, said deranged liver, but they said that could be down to gastro too. Had more bloods with GP last week, they said no action (I will see results later this week so I can see for myself the numbers)

How are you feeling now?

what do you think is going on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i still have the pain, right now. On right abdo. Annoying. Not directly under scars, and so I don't think any probs there. THey are healing fine. I don't know. Maybe something to do with body adjusting, or pain from the duct if it is having a lot more bile going thru. I have had burning throat a couple of times, I'm guessing something to do with reflux, I don't know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was kind of told that 'everyone' gets right back to normal. No special diet needed etc. But looking online I see quite a number of people do have problems. Some come and go, some are constant and some did get better.

I was thinking a retained stone or sludge in the bile ducts.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now my gallbladder is gone, are there any signals diverted elsewhere, or does my liver somehow know to make bile all the time, or does it come through more in evenings? (pain seems a bit worse in evenings).
yes they said maybe i had a retained stone that cleared before MRi. I have also read something about sludge or 'liquid' from inflammation. I have a lot of gas, it is really troubling. I can't relax. I am trying to eat plain, but I don't know what to do, whether to test just eating what I feel like, or whether to keep eating plain.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
anyway, if it was a stone, I am still having pain now. So I think maybe it's something else, or something else now... Pain is about 10-15 cm down from ribs on right, there's no scars there. Or better description, about 6 cm to right of my tummy button. Can you say what sort of things are in that area? Could that be my bile duct? ( I know it might depend how things lie/are attached in diff people)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i didn't have any pains for 2 weeks after, that's what is bit weird

It could be just your bowel getting back to normal because there is a change after surgery

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry, can you say what is in the area of 6cm to right of tummy button? Might that be bile duct? And do I have more bile flowing through the duct now, and is that continual? Or more at evenings?

it could be appendix or ileocecal valve

intestines

not bile ducts though

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what is the ileoceal valve?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
any reasons I could have more pain in evenings?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will look up ileocecal valve

Maybe that is when the gut is processing more food throughout the day

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
any suggestions for burning throat? I have never had acid indigestion before. Or stomach ulcers.

I would try pepcid or zantac

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
well finally then, do I have more or less bile in stomach and going through the bile duct (either continuously or in batches...but less concentrated than stuff from gbladder)?

less concentrated.more steady flow

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thanks. I will look up the valve. I see it has to do with bile absorption too.

welcome :)