Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I had a lumpectomy left breast incision from nipple to under

I had a lumpectomy left breast incision from nipple to under breast also total land - 21 nodes went for a ct scan and radioactive scan 1 month after operation, both came back clear, surgeon said there is now 'no cause for concern' clear margins and no sign of it, however, I am concerned it may come back? Also, after doing the predict test it came out at 80% chance of non-recurrence (by medical oncologist) who seemed quite pleased with that number? I am also due a mammogram in January, breast still quite tender, sore, is there anything I can do to prevent unnecessary pain from this procedure? I have been told massaging scar or even silicone strips may reduce/soften scar tissue, I am still very anxious. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 10 months ago.

I can certainly understand your anxiety.

There is a fair amount of time to go till January, so I am quite hopeful that the breast tenderness should be less by that time.

here are five things you can do to have more comfortable, less painful mammograms.

1. Schedule Strategically

Keep track of your periods and schedule your mammogram appointments accordingly.

Most women experience the least amount of breast tenderness during the first two weeks of their menstrual cycle, which means you would experience less discomfort from a mammogram during this time.

2. Avoid Caffeine & reduce salt for upto a week before the mammogram

Some women find that caffeine increases breast tenderness. Even small amounts of caffeine can have an effect. Even if you aren't sure if this is you, experiment with avoiding caffeine in the week leading up to your mammogram to see if it helps lower the pain you experience. Coffee, tea, soft drinks, sports drinks and chocolate are common sources of caffeine.

3. Consider OTC Painkillers

An over-the-counter painkiller such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen taken about an hour before your mammogram may help to reduce any pain or discomfort you may feel during the mammography procedure.

Taking OTC painkillers ahead of time is also a good way to prevent any discomfort you might normally feel following your mammogram.

4. Ask About Padding

Some mammogram centers offer padding designed to make your mammogram more comfortable. One example is the MammoPad, which is a soft, white, single-use foam pad that is invisible to X-rays.

It secures to the lower metal plate, providing a soft and warm spot for the technician to place your breast.

5. Try Numbing Gel

While it can be messy, numbing gel applied to the breast has been found to relieve pain from the pressure of mammograms.

https://www.verywell.com/no-more-painful-mammograms-3522439

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thankyou for your response I was anxious due to the scarring causing pain and perhaps using some silicone sheets or massage to hurry along the healing pricess
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Process - Thank you

That is fine,

Using a silicon sheet and massage can certainly help in reducing scars in some situations, and they are unlikely to cause any harm,

Do remember to leave a positive feedback if the reply was helpful,
warm regards