Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have got irritation on my left arm and it's it constantly

I have got irritation on my left arm and it's it constantly itching I have tried all sorts of creams after consulting my local pharmacy and nothing seems to be working
It is keeping me awake at night now so affecting my work
If I scratch it I get a burning sensation and the only thing that can calm it down slightly is a ice pack
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Is it red,raised rash on affected area?

Is it located on one patch of skin?

Any blisters?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Have you tried any new medication/product?

Neck stiffness?

Numbness,tingling sensation on affected area?

If possible can you please upload a picture of affected area?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no rash just irritation most of the time and my skin on my arm just feels like it it very youghtbanf tight
I have had this now for 6 weeks and it came on the same time I was told I had arthritis in my wrist and thumbI have been taking anti inflammatory medication for the ithritis and this as been stopped now for last few days
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is only on my left arm from wrist to elbow no other part of my body is affected my doctor prescribed stronger anti istameens last week but they have had no affect at all

Thanks for all these additional information.
I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,possible causes may include Neurodermatitis, Brachioradial pruritis.

Neurodermatitis is a condition where the nerves in any area of the body become hypersensitive and fire under normal conditions to produce a sensation of itching. The skin may look absolutely normal.

If you have tried drugs/creams/lotions/ointments to no avail, your itching symptoms are likely due to brachioradial pruritus. This condition usually involves arms.

Most patients with this problem say that only ice gives temporary relief.
This is a condition that affects nerves and/or nerve roots. Sometimes it may appear to be seasonal or diurnal (occur mostly around the same time of the day), and no one knows why.

It is a poorly understood disorder but it is a form of neuropathy.

One of the treatments that is successful was a medication called lamotrigine. Gabapentin works too.

You can try some self care measures like

OTC Jergens Naturals Ultra Hydrating Daily Moisturizer applied under wet wrapping of bandage.

Also OTC 1% Cortizone cream apply after moisturizer twice a day.

OTC Claritin 10-20 mg twice a day.

OTC Capsaicin cream applied 3-4 times a day over the affected area.

And see a dermatologist for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience: M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can these products be bought over the counter at my local pharmacist are do I have to go back to see my local GP

Jergens Naturals Ultra Hydrating Daily Moisturizer,1% Cortizone cream,Claritin 10-20 mg,Capsaicin cream are available over the counter at your local pharmacy most likely.

If your symptoms'll not improve in a week then see a dermatologist for further evaluation and management.

Welcome.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil