Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I am 38 weeks pregnant. At 34 weeks my 'deepest pool'

I am 38 weeks pregnant. At 34 weeks my 'deepest pool' measurement was 5.3 cm. Today at 38 weeks it was 8.3cm which I was told is slightly above normal range. I have another scan at 39 weeks to see if it is increasing still.
Should it not of increased since 34 weeks?
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Amniotic fluid volume tends to decrease somewhat after 34-36 weeks, but there is a lot of variation. There is also significant variation in different measurements of the single deepest pocket of amniotic fluid.

Usually a single deepest pocket measurement will be from 2-8 cm, so 8.3 is slightly higher.

I believe that your doctors want to measure again in 1 week to see if this is significant. If the pocket measures larger, then a condition called hydramnios or polyhydramnios may be developing.

However, there is a very good chance that at the next measurement, the pocket will measure smaller, in which case everyone can relax.

Polyhydramnios can be caused by undetected diabetes, so if you haven't been screened for that, it would be good to do so. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been screened for GD and it was negative. So why could fluid increase between 34-38 weeks? They were happy with babies growth etc, were able to see the stomach
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am low risk for downs syndrome from my early screening but could this be the cause?

The apparent increase in fluid could be nothing more than the fact that our measurement methods are not very accurate. In other words, although the measurement increased, the amount of fluid may not have increased.

In case there is polyhydramnios, possible causes include Down syndrome or other genetic abnormality.

Swallowing problems can occur, so it's good that they can see a normal stomach.

Since you have only a slight suggestion at this time, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Significant problems of the baby are usually detected before 38 weeks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What other genetic abnormality? Yes i am comforted that significant problems are usually detected earlier

Down syndrome or Edwards syndrome.

Usually no cause is found when there is only mild polyhydramnios.

Thank you for your payment and rating.