DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

Liver and biliary system I don't drink alcohol and never

Liver and biliary systemI don't drink alcohol and never have.I had cholesystectomy a month ago.2 weeks afterwards I had to go back to hospital with vomiting. That calmed down in the next 2 days. I came home.My blood results from this week have come back okbut the GGT is still high (56) ............reference range is given as 5-35 U/LDays before surgery GGT was 72, then 2 weeks later with the vomiting it was 123, and now it is 56.Is this likely to be just from the surgery or any other reasons?Should I do anything?
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear about this

This raised GGT can be due to the gall bladder issues you have for which you had a surgery. Sometimes after surgery such an elevation can occur and it is likely to settle with time. There is nothing serious to be worried of.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** rate you. Can I just check, do you think another test in a couple of weeks is a good idea, to see if things are going back to normal? And if they stay raised or get higher, what should I do?

Yes you can have a repeat test in a couple of weeks and it is likely to have a downward trend.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If you does not develop any symptoms then even if it is the same you just need to monitor it as occasionally the return to normal is slow.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks