Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

How do I get rid of magnesium sulphate on my scalp. I put

How do I get rid of magnesium sulphate on my scalp. I put the paste on 3 years ago to get rid of cysts and it did but the salt is still in my scalp irritating it. I use dermol 500 constantly, but it still wont go away?
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 8 months ago.

Epsom salts can usually be washed away completely by running water.

In your case, it is likely that it is the Dermol 500 which is causing the problems and not the Epsom salts.

Dermol 500 lotion contains four main ingredients: liquid paraffin, isopropyl myristate, benzalkonium chloride and chlorhexidine hydrochloride. The liquid paraffin will cause the hair to become sticky and oily by forming a barrier over the scalp and hair. The other two ingredients can cause irritation and hair loss.

Dermol 500 should be used only in conditions like psoriasis where the skin becomes dry and scaly.

Please stop using the Dermol and try using a normal hair shampoo - you should see the state of your hair improving gradually.

Consulting a doctor for tests to identify the cause of your baldness will also help.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi. I have already tried normal shampoo for a while. It irritated the scalp more, dried it up, and caused the hair to stick down greater. The doctors have already ran all the tests on my scalp- and bloods, and I've seen specialists. Ive tried multiple steroids, antibiotics, antifungal shampoos- these did not get rid of my cysts- only the mag sulphate paste did, and cutting them out my scalp. I was given the dermol as part of all this too. I need the amount of epsom salts from the paste to leave, but I can't find how. I've tried loads of running water, steeping it in baths of water, and the dermol is the only thing that loosens it from the scalp. Otherwise it sticks the hair down and if the hair grows, the salts are underneath the skin making it dry, and like a hard crust- psoriasis like. The water seems to be diffusing it immoveably into the scalp more, rather than draining it out. would washing up liquid perhaps help move the oils from the dermol and epson or something? I don't know but there has to be a solution

No, washing up liquid would cause more harm to your scalp and hair.

The best thing for you to do is try baby shampoo. These are mild but can cause substances like salts to drain out.

Another option is to apply lemon juice . Lime juice is an astringent and will strip salts and paraffin from your hair. Juice one half of a lime and apply the juice, keeping it on for 30 minutes. Wash off with baby shampoo. try this for one month to see results.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MBBS.MD