Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I have a lumo in my throat that I've had for about a year

Customer Question

Hi, I have a lumo in my throat that I've had for about a year now. It's not painful but I am just aware of it being there.
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 10 months ago.

A lump in the throat can be due to serious causes like a growth - benign or malignant.

But the commoner cause, especially in someone in your age group is a condition known as Globus pharyngeus. This is a condition in which there is tightening of the throat muscles causing the typical lump sensation.

The most important cause of this condition is acid reflux from the stomach irritating the mucosal lining of the esophagus. Stress is another important cause, causing spasm of the muscles.

Other causes my be a lesion, scars or strictures in the mucosal lining.

In any cause, you do nee to consult a doctor for an examination.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.