Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

My 16 year old son claims to hear voices in his head and see

Customer Question

My 16 year old son claims to hear voices in his head and see spirits. For the last 6 months I have noticed dramatic mood swings, anger and sadness. I went to our local GP who wasn't much help. Prescribed anti depressants to get a diary and come back in one month. Every Psychiastrists I am looking at going to are so expensive. Can you advise me please ? Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 11 months ago.

Most likely your son has schizophrenia, which often manifests during the teen years.

Since you live in the UK, your son should be evaluated and treated by a community mental health team (CMHT) or an early intervention team. I believe your GP is the person to refer him there.

You can read more about schizophrenia and care here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Schizophrenia/Pages/Treatment.aspx

I would call your GP and urge that he/she refer your son. There is good treatment for schizophrenia today, but it's not easy and requires help from a number of resources, as outlined on the website I listed. Best wishes to you and your son.