Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have a severe constant pain whenever I'm sitting down,

I have a severe constant pain whenever I'm sitting down, it's on the upper
left side of my abdomen, it's always in the same place. I showed the location of the pain to my GP and he said it's the spleen. This place hurts when I'm using my laptop or when
I'm watching TV orwhen I'm sitting on the bus. The pain is related to muscle movement and
positional. Sometimes I get sharp stabbing pain on the left side of
my stomach. The pain seems to dissapear after I stand up. I know it's not my stomach because when I eat, I can feel the food go down my system normally but then I sometimes get the upper left abdominal pain, it is different I can feel the stomach processing food and the upper left abdominal pain both at the same time, and they are in two different locations.1) Should I see a Neurologist or Gastroenterologists?
2) What tests would a Gastroentrologist do? I've had normal blood tests done and it all came out fine. I'm having an Ultrasound scan soon.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

I would recommend seeing a gastroenterologist, since besides a scan an endoscopy to examine the digestive tract may be required. If it is indeed the spleen that is enlarged than the cause for the enlargement needs to be diagnosed.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a 5 star rating by clicking 5 stars above.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I eat and excrete fine, there is no problem there. The problem is when I sit down, the upper left abdominal pain starts. It's only in the seating position, the pain isn't there when I stand up or lie down flat

Dear customer,

Even though you eat and your stools are normal, still this may be due to gastrointestinal disease such as diverticular disease, inflammatory bowel disease, or irritable bowel syndrome. Only an examination by your doctor and the initial scan will lead to a diagnosis.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But I know it's not my stomach because when I eat, I can feel the food go down my system normally but then I sometimes get the upper left abdominal pain, it is different I can feel the stomach processing food and the upper left abdominal pain both at the same time, and they are in two different locations.

Dear customer,

It may not be the stomach, however may be due to other parts of the gastrointestinal tract such as colon.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I showed the location of the pain to my GP and he said it's the Spleen

Dear customer,

Then it may be the spleen since an enlarged spleen may be palpated by your doctor. Spleen, pancreas, colon, and kidney can all produce abdominal pain at this location. Only further investigations will be helpful for a diagnosis.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm having an Ultrasound soon, will that help find the source of the pain if it is organ related? If it's not organ related then I feel I shlould see a Neurologist to see if it is nerve or muscle related

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes that is a good plan of action.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Or do you suggest I do Ultrasound first then after that do a CT abdomen which will provide much more detailed information about all the internal organs

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

I would suggest doing the ultrasound first as your plan and then interpretation by your doctor of the results and later to do the CT scan only if advised by your doctor.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did legal research on case reports where the claimant won their claim regarding the injury they suffered
from as a result of Hepatitis B vaccine. 5 out of 11 case reports I found were Nerve or muscle related. That's why I feel I should also see a Neurologist

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

In that case seeing a neurologist will be beneficial in diagnosing a neuro-muscular disorder.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah I think I should see a Neurologist more than a Gastroentologist because the upper left abdominal pain is positional.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it may be muscular pain as well due to muscle spasms. Therefore the results of your ultrasound will clarify whether a specialist is needed and which specialist to consult.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My symptoms does it sound like Gastroentolgy symptoms or Neurological symptoms. I have a constant pain while I'm sitting down, which
is focused in one specific area, on the upper left side of my abdomen. The pain isn't there when I stand up or lie down flat.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

This symptom is not specific to any condition and may occur both when there is any gastrointestinal pathology as well as in neuromuscular conditions.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is a better description. I have a constant pain while I'm seated, which is focused in one specific area, on the upper left side of my abdomen. The pain isn't there when I stand up or lie down flat.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately though the description of your symptom does sound that it is a musculoskeletal problem, however based on the symptom specific diagnosis is not possible and only further investigations can rule out other causes for this symptom.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know it's not my ribcage that hurts, it feels like something inside, but I can't tell if it's the Spleen that's hurting or a muscle.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Only the results of the investigation will confirm your intuition.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you a Neurologist?

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

No I am not a neurologist. I am a general physician. I have worked under neurologists and have had many months of neurology postings. I have seen many cases with symptoms similar to yours and though a history and physical examination is beneficial ultimately treatment is given based on the results of the investigation.

Take care.

Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you think upper left abdominal pain could be Neuropathic pain?

Dear customer,

That is one possible causative factor for the pain out of the many causes that I have listed before.

Take care.