Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Heart keeps skipping beats, so I have had this on and off

Customer Question

Heart keeps skipping beats, so I have had this on and off for the past 3 years. Would just occasionally have the heart stop for a split second then give a large beat that feels uncomfortable before it resumes in to a normal heart rate. For the past 6 days straight it has happened every day, I have to add I've been under a lot of stress lately.
It seems to happen more often when im moving around or walking around. However It does not follow up with shortness of breath or anything. Is this serious?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

You are likely having premature ventricular contractions ( PVCs). These are benign beats. Heart may stop for a moment normally. Stress, caffeine, junk food can precipitate these beats frequently. This can be diagnosed by a 24 hour hotter monitoring test. Most likely not concerning. A beta blocker can be prescribed to control the symptoms if needed.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/