Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

My granddaughter has had confirmed whooping cough, she was

Customer Question

My granddaughter has had confirmed whooping cough, she was 11 weeks old when it was confirmed and had t o s p end as week in Peterborough hospital as she was so ill with it. She is now 16 weeks old. I have developed a severe cough, much worse at nigh t and for the last 4 days have felt really unwell. The cough is very draining but apart from general fatigue and a sore throat I am ok, no runny nose ect. I know t h ere,are a lot of viruses out there but could this be whooping cough. I work in a hospital, I've had to take Friday and tonight off as i felt so unwell and had not slept but i am due to work Sunday and Monday night
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

It is, in fact, not unlikely that you have caught whooping cough. Cold viruses tend to cause running noses and joint pains as well, and the fact that your symptoms worsen at night is another hint to whooping cough.

I suggest you have your blood checked for whooping cough antibodies. Antibiotics unluckily do not improve the issue but decrease the infectiousness, and I recommend them in case of positive results.

I wish you and your granddaughter the very best!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome!

I am happy if you rate positively for my quick help.