wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I leave in the Sahel which is a rather hot climate most of

Hello there, I leave in the Sahel which is a rather hot climate most of the year. For the last 4 months, I have had boils on my body, mostly forearms. They usually come one after the other. I went to see a GP every early on and got the boils treated and also took samples to be analysed. Based on the results, they prescribed antibiotics which I took. 4 months later I still get these boils and take a course antibiotics (Fluxapen) once in a while to help. What can I do to get this treated once and for all? Thank you
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Can you upload a photo of the lesions?

Did the culture show staph?

Where on your body are the lesions located?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Doctor
No other medical conditions, the GP tested me for Diabete and was negative. I am generally healthy, quite active and never had skin deseases before, except for some acne as a teenager.The first boil was in my upper back, just below the neck. Then I had two fairly large one at the same time, on the torso and on the belly. Since then they have been on my forearms.Photos attached: Microbiology result (from the pus sample analysis), photo of my right forearm and the elbow with the latest boil that started showing up a couple of days ago. OK, Jpeg photos don't seem to upload, I could send them via email if you send me an address.Thanks,
Bruno
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have just paid GBP36.00 for help..... Not sure where this is gone to but no one has answered my question yet.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

We are on opposite sides of the planet....our time zones are a bit out of sync.....

The photos and documents did not load. Can you re-attach them using the paperclip on your screen?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello DoctorYes I assumed this was the case but the system was asking me to pay if I wanted to carry on, hence my answer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I forgot to mention that I have had two blisters on my right hand, one at the top of my middle finger, next to the nail and the other was between the palm and the wrist. These were painful but superficial, unlike boils that are deep. I thought I'd mention it as it might be an important detail.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the microbiology report.

Sensitivity testing results were not provided but, in any event, the bacteria isolated is one that is commonly associated with boils.

You are receiving the correct treatment. That being said, if the boils are continuing to return again and again then the next step would be to have a complete medical examination looking for any underlying immune system deficiency you might have.

Of course, moving to a cooler climate might help also as well as washing with a high quality soap at least once a day.
Here is an excellent article from a highly respected source that you might find helpful:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/boils-and-carbuncles/home/ovc-20214754

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello DoctorThanks, it's reassuring to know that my treatment is right.It's been 5 months now that I have recurring boils, do you think it's about the right time for me to have this complete examination?Would you recommend another good antibiotics for this condition?I cover boils with compress, is there any medicated cream that I can use to help cleaning the boil lesion faster and avoid possible infections?Well I do wash regularly, showers etc... especially my hands, usually over 5 times a day. This said, it is possible that I am not using the right soap - can you recommend high quality soaps that are commonly found?Thanks for the useful link!Regards,
Bruno
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Bruno,

Yes. I believe it is time for the more extensive exam.

You are already on a very good antibiotic....

You can try some triple antibiotic ointment available over the counter.

Dove soap is good.

I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello DoctorThanks for your help on matter.It looks as though I have found the answer to my problem which is a relief as I had the impression that the antibiotics were no longer effective.... It is still a little early to be sure but I should be certain in a week or so. Perhaps you might be interested to know what the answer is, as a professional and also by sheer curiosity, which I will be happy to share if you pay me back the money I pay for the initial consultation? :-)Please advise.Regards,
Bruno
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

I would be very interested in learning how things turn out. That being said, since you have not given any positive feedback as of yet, I have not been paid so I can't return any monies to you......

So. What can you do?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello DoctorWell I don't have any issues giving you positive feedback for the service I have received, even though strictly speaking, my problem was not resolved but you did give me sound advice and peace of mind.I am new to Ask Questions and if I am honest, I do not like the fact that you, as in the system I assume, ask to give feedback with every correspondence, as if for you, the consultants on this portal, receiving positive feedback quickly was more important than giving advice or tips if you like to your paying clients.Perhaps you can relay this feedback to the website managers.... I am sure they will see some sense in this if they are commercially minded. After all, people may come to you and ask stupid questions but they are not complete idiots in most cases anyway!Rest assured that I will give you positive feedback when I am certain I have found the cause of my problem.I am sorry If I come across as a bit of a pain in the neck. Just give until the end of the week if you don't mind.Bruno
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Will do.

Have a good weekend.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Doctor RickWell, It's been just about ten days and no sign of any new boils. I actually had a new one growing about a week ago on my left hand middle finger but it never matured and disappeared in about three days. Nothing since, and I am rather pleased about it.So it looks as though I have found the cure to my problem - touch wood. I will give you positive feedback as promised and I will be happy to share in details what worked for me, provided I get my fee refunded, which I think is fair ;-). Purely from a medical point of view, I think it's worth every penny as far as I am concerned, as there might be others out there with the same problem.All the best and my apologies once again for the wait.Regards,
Bruno