Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

In June i had surgery to remove a superior parathyroid

In June i had surgery to remove a superior parathyroid adenoma. Prior to which i had been suffering from Hyperparathyroidism and initially had calcium levels of 3.05. To be fair my symptoms prior to the operation were bearable a few aches and pains but nothing drastic ,however since the op i have felt like a completely different person. I have gone from being the most confident outgoing person , to becoming a complete nervous wreck. I have to say that physically i'm fine , but i have suffered the most debiliatating anxiety and low mood, i have had dreadful sleeping problems, in three months ive lost almost 2 stone and i feel like a completely different person - but not in good way ! Will i ever get back to my old self and this common ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have been having bad mood and anxiety after the surgery.

you need to get your parathyroid hormone levels and calcium and thyroid hormone levels checked.

you may need to go on antidepression and anti-anxiety medications to help your mood.

medications like sertraline or paroxetine could help your anxiety and depression symptoms.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I really don't want to take anti depressants or medication in general if i could possibly avoid it , would any alternative therapies help e.g Hynotherapy ? and is it common to feel like this after this type of surgery ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i suppose i just want to know if this will continue for much longer , as there have been some improvements. Initially i felt like this every day , but now i have 'good days' when i feel almost normal however not many.

you need blood testing to find out what may be wrong with your hormones, if anything.

without blood testing, there is no way to know if this is a temporary thing or will last some time.

you can try regular exercise which can help decrease anxiety and depression.

getting more sun and light therapy could help.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do exercise regularly i swim thirty lengths, twice a week , i walk everywhere as i don't drive , i used to really enjoy doing lots of things now i don't enjoy much of anything apart from sleeping , that is when i can sleep, thanks

the surgery could have damaged your thyroid gland which could be affecting your thyroid hormone levels

this can be checked by blood test

and corrected.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No my thyroid is fine my consultant checked all this when i went for my post op check up, he was convinced with the tremors and poor appetite i was presenting that i had overactive thyroid but all my blood tests came back fine and i was discharged - with a letter saying i was suffering from anxiety - but i certainly wasn't before the op. Have to go to try to sleep as i have work tomorrrow morning. Thankyou,

medications like benadryl or diphenhydramine or melatonin can help you sleep

you may benefit from exercising more than twice a week to help your anxiety and depression symptoms

you can ask your doctor about supplements such as St. John's wart which can help mild forms of depression.

getting outside more and getting more sun could help your depression as well

days are getting shorter now in the nothern hemisphere, and this can often lead to depression.