Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have polio in legs since the age of 6 but for a while I

Customer Question

I have polio in legs since the age of 6 but for a while I have had tingling and numbness on inside of right leg below knee it goes down to my big toe also I have a burning feeling too but not all time same place I have taken paracetomol but seems to make it worse can you tell me what I can take or use I am in good health and do not take any other medication my age is 67
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Have you had any evaluation for the tingling and numbness?

Are you having any other symptoms of the legs or lower back?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no and no I don't have any other symptoms at all

Thank you for the additional information.

While there are some interventions that can be tried without seeking further evaluation of the underlying cause of the tingling and numbness, it is better to pursue an appropriate evaluation when there are persistent symptoms.

There are a couple of interventions that can be done at home that may be able to help. Some people can get tingling, numbness, or burning because of musculoskeletal inflammation that is pressing on a nerve. Using an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, can ease inflammation and relieve the pressure on the nerve in these cases.

There also is an over the counter cream that can help directly ease tingling or burning, so may help for a variety of underlying causes. The cream is called capsaicin, and it is available in a number of brand names. When the cream is first applied, it may make the tingling worse, but as the medicine accumulates in the system over a couple weeks, it will typically help ease the tingling and burning.

It also may help to take a multi-vitamin supplement, particularly the B vitamins.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took ibrofen and it made it a lot worse is there any thng else I can take and could you give me name of cream or ointment to use thank you

The other thing that you can take is the capsaicin cream that I noted above. There are many different brand names that are available and it varies by country. The system says that you are from the UK, and one of the brand names that I can find that is available in the UK is Nature Knows Best Chilli Muscle Rub.