Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My daughter is 18, just started Uni. Developed cold symptoms

My daughter is 18, just started Uni. Developed cold symptoms i.e. sore throat, sneezing on Sat. No temperature but sleeping a lot (during the day too which is unusual for her). Pale skin. No breakfast this morning. She hasn't had the meningitis vaccination. Should I be concerned?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 9 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

There is no indication that this can be due to meningitis, hence no need to be concerned. She is probably suffering from a viral infection and needs the rest. Make sure that she drinks a lot of fluids and stays hydrated. For the sore throat salt water gargle and pain reducing medication such as Ibuprofen will be beneficial. For the pale skin I would recommend that she has a complete blood count done to look for anemia. This can be done after her symptoms decrease. However if she has worsening of symptoms such that she is not able to swallow or if she gets new symptoms such as nausea, abdominal pain, headache, or high fever then you may take her to the ER.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a 5 star rating by clicking 5 stars above.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. I will follow your advice. First time I have known her to be like this so still concerned.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Being a mother it is natural to be concerned despite all the assurances. However medically there is no reason to worry at present with these symptoms since these are very common and will resolve in a few days even without any treatment.

Take care.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, thanks for the reassurances. I will just keep an eye on her for now. Again it's the first time I've seen her like this. She is not the usual British teen who sleeps a lot. Has lived in Japan until 3 weeks ago and has never followed such customs.