Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I'm currently receiving puva light treatment and have to

Customer Question

I'm currently receiving puva light treatment and have to wear uv glasses because of the tablets pentaderm. I wear glasses normally but they don't cover the side of my eyes so can't be worn the two days I attend treatment. I am struggling at work with the computer and wondered if there would be grounds to be signed off the two days I receive treatment
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

I am an ophthalmologist.

What is it that seems to be causing you struggle? Can you explain this in depth?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am unable to wear my prescription glasses while I am wearing my uv protection glasses. This is making it difficult to see and I can't afford contacts or to pay for a new pair of glasses. I am struggling to do my job as I need to be able to see
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

I can understand the difficulty you are experiencing.

I very much doubt that this would, however, be grounds for being off during treatment. Of course, your employer might be willing to give you the time off (with or without pay) if you asked.

One thing you could do would be to fashion side shields for your glasses using any sort of material from paper, cardboard, fabric etc. You should be able to wear your modified normal Rx glasses as almost every set of eyeglasses block UV light now a days.

They also make large, wrap around, UV blocking glasses that fit over prescription glasses. Talk to a local ophthalmologist and see what she has available. These glasses are usually very inexpensive. In my practice the post op glasses, which I give to patients for free after surgery, block UV light and fit over glasses. An eye surgeon may give you a pair for free or just a pound or two.

Make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS