Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Having heard the dangers of P.P.I's in JAMA I have taken

Having heard the dangers of P.P.I's in JAMA I have taken myself off them, having complained to my gp of side effects from Lansoprazole, I was put onto Omeprazole 3/6 mths ago - I have been on a high dose of these '7yrs.+' On hearing the kidney failure problems these cause, I went 'cold turkey' 3wks ago - taking Erthyraea Centarium 14 drops in water 3 times daily. But no doubt thro' my actions I feel I may now be experiencing withdrawal or detox, but I am feeling mild nausea most of the time & extreme nausea frequently,with the awful burning of acid reflux from my hiatus hernia. Can you please advise me - I am happy to take homeopathy or herbal tinctures - anything but drugs again. Please bear with my typing, I am an oap, but not the 'silver surfer brigade' sadly.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 9 months ago.

Dear customer,

What lifestyle changes have you made to decrease the symptoms?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been watching my diet and lost 1.5st since Feb. this year. I have never smoked or taken illegal drugs & my alcohol intake in negligable(approx 5 alcoholic drinks annually). I do have other health problems tho' - ulcerative colitis, now IBD/ und. active Thyroid/ Fibromyalgia & mildish Asthma. I do love fruit & eat daily, vegetables try & eat 3 times a week. Only food I cannot eat is offal/game/figs/dates/marzipan. But it is coming off the Omeprazole that is making daily living uncomfortable - I would apprec having something, natural that stops the burning/nausea please - no drugs tho'. Recent experience & 'steven-johnsons' syndrome in 70's result of allergy to sulfamites, makes me want nothing further to do with drugs.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
P.S. for the past three days I have had problems eating after my b/fast of porridge made with water & berries. During rest of day been existing on couple pieces of fruit due to nausea/burning.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

The other expert has opted out.

Another lifestyle intervention that may help with acid reflux and a hiatal hernia is to place 6 inch blocks under the feet at the head of the bed.

An herbal supplement that may help is Mastic. Common homeopathic remedies that are purported to help with acid reflux include Pulsatilla and Nux vomica. Like most supplements, specific studies are limited, so the exact level of effectiveness cannot be stated, but if they work for you, then that is fine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The headboad end of my bed has been on blocks for a number of years. This burning/ nausea has only come about since coming off the dangerous PPI's as mentioned in my 1st correspondence. As I originally stated I am taking 3 times daily @ Erthyraea Centaurium=14 drops in water. Can I take the Mastic or homeopathy in conjunction?

Yes, you can.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.