DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I recently started smoking a couple of weeks ago due to

I recently started smoking a couple of weeks ago due to stress and anxiety with personal problems. I had no issues with the smoking up until yesterday where I woke up with a very tight chest, finding trying to take a full/deep breath painful and difficult, coughing and shallow breath. This stopped me sleeping last night. This morning, it does seem better however it is still painful to take a full/deep breath and there is now some pain in the lower stomach/abdomen when coughing. I went to a walk in centre this morning to be told that my throat isn't swollen, but it does appear quite red at the back and was told it could be a viral thing or could turn into tonsillitis. I was told to get Difflam throat spray and take paracetamol and see if it goes away. I'm still concerned that it could be something worse. It's also worth noting that I do have a blue inhaler and using that hasn't worked. Thanks.
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Can you please elaborate what are your concerns and what serious thing or condition you are thinking of?

Reards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm concerned about lung cancer or anything serious like that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm also concerned that this difficulty breathing is not going to go away. It is very uncomfortable.

Lung cancer is associated with smoking if you smoke for almost a decade . It does not appear that early with smoking. Your symptoms are likely to go away with your treatment. If the pain is not getting better with paracetamol you can take some anti inflammatory like Advil to get a relief from pain. Just relax I reassure you it is not a lung cancer or anything serious. If your symptoms persists after a week then you can have a chest X-Ray and a course of antibiotic to help get rid of the infection.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for the reassurance, you've put my mind to rest!