wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I hope you can help I somewhat worried- I had removal of my

Hi, I hope you can help I somewhat worried- I had removal of my upper second molar roots approx 5 weeks ago, after losing the tooth just prior. At the time of extraction there was pus coming from the gums and I was told it was septic and very infected. Long story short I had to attend the emergency hospital dental 48 hrs later who diagnosed dry socket etc, my dentist didn't agree 4 days afterwards and told me everything was fine. I've suffered from repeated infections since then with bacteraemia usually diagnosed by the hospital team and refuted by my dentist anyway things have improved provided I stay on antibiotics! I was told two weeks ago everything had completely healed- hooray! I've continued to have some symptoms of pain and ongoing ear pressure today I finally had some imaging done and have been shown that the tissue is in fact ulcerated at gum level all over and the X Ray shows an empty hole.Ive also been told it isn't healed - My question is should I do anything or can I do anything about the ulcerated tissue and is it normal for the X-ray to show an empty hole at this stage? I thought there should be granulation fill in instead etc- please forgive my long question too
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

How old are you?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I'm 55 yrs old and take vitamin D for deficiency and HRT- Premarin following surgical menopause when I was 28, apologies too as I thought I was posting to ask a dentist! Possibly that doesn't matter, I have been told my bones are not quite normal density not osteoporosis or osteopenia as yet- I should add that I have a 6 yr history prior of chronic dental infections and do have some concerns about my facial bones inc jaw etc

Thank you for that additional information.

My entire family are DDS's -- I was the black sheep who went and became a surgeon ;)

You probably still have a hole visible on Xray due to your post op infection and complicated course.

What you are experiencing is not normal....but it does happen from time to time.

So. What should you do?

The best thing would be to consult with a maxillofacial surgeon. She would be able to examine you and say if you might need bone grafting. I'm glad to hear that you do not have any evidence of osteopenia of loss of density in your jaw at this time.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Rick, this is very helpful and I think your advice about seeing a maxilla facial surgeon is great- I haven't actually had my jaw density measured sadly I underwent routine dexa scanning a year ago on hip spine etc - the whole picture has been complicated by my own dentists denying there is infection there which continues to recur and I keep being rescued by either my own Gp or the emergency hospital dental team- hopefully I'll find a max fax who is prepared to cone beam CT and it's reassuring to know ulceration etc can happen , thank you so much keep your fingers crossed for me!

Time to find a new DDS :)

I hope things turn out well and everything heals up fine.

Have a good evening.

I have good friends in Londonderry and it is past time for me to once again visit your beautiful country.....