wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have an underactive thyroid and I was wondering if I

Hi there,
I have an underactive thyroid and I was wondering if I should take an Iodine supplement? currently I take 125mg of Eltroxin daily but i dont have enough energy to get me through the day and I wonder if this might help in producing the hormone?
Lynda
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

There is enough iodine in the modern diet nowadays that you should not have to take anything extra.

If you are concerned that you are not balanced in terms of your thyroid function your doctor can do some simple blood tests to see where you stand.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Dr. RickThank you for coming back to me.I know that there is idoine in the modern diet, but I was wondering would taking a supplement be something i could consider, I work on the road and as much as I try to have a "healthy" diet it doesnt always happen. I am getting frustrated with the slow metabolism, the fatigue, the lack of energy, I was a very active person utilising all the hours in the day, but I am struggling to go beyond 6pm now.What I am really trying to figure out is will it hinder or help me. the articles on this topic are a big vagueThanks so much
Lynda Potts
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

I do not believe that extra iodine will do anything to help given what you have posted.