Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was bitten a couple of weeks ago and developed a cold

I was bitten a couple of weeks ago and developed a cold within a day or so of the bite. I still have the cold and the bite mark still looks angry and stings on and off from time to time
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the bite wound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here you go. Bite and Bite 1 are the pictures of how it looks now. Bite 3 is how the bite looked when it first happened.

Thank you for the pictures. The appearance on the pictures is worrisome that there is a secondary infection of the wound. A secondary infection of the wound can cause systemic signs of infection, such as fever or diffuse aches, but it would typically not cause other symptoms of a cold, such as congestion.

A secondary infection would usually be treated with oral antibiotics, and that would require that you see your doctor. If you are in a situation in which you cannot readily get into your doctor, the best that can be done at home is an over the counter topical antibiotic, such as Neosporin.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your time

You are most welcome.