Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

At the end of March, I had a Mirena coil fitted and I

Customer Question

Hi there,
My name is***** the end of March, I had a Mirena coil fitted and I started to notice changes in my mood and I also started to lose more hair than usual. I spoke to a few doctors and they all encouraged me to keep it in for at least 3-6 months. After 5 months of having it in, I saw no improvement so I took it out at the end of August. It has been a little over a month now and I am still struggling with incredibly low mood (I get panic/anxiety attacks quite often), my hair is falling out more than usual and I am always exhausted even if I manage to get enough sleep. I also do not have regular bowel movements, sometimes when I touch my stomach it feels like there's a "knot", like a hardened area compared to the rest. When I do have bowel movements, the consistency is always strange: either light in color and soft or hard and dark. All of this feels very unsettling, I am only 19 years old, it doesn't feel like I should be struggling with such things.
I look forward to hearing from you.
All the best,
Felicia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to quickly add, I read one can use natural progesterone cream after the Mirena to help the body produce progesterone again. What are your thoughts on this?
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,I would recommend to undergo blood work like CBC,ESR,Vitamin B12,Vitamin D3,thyroid profile to rule possible causes like thyroid dysfunction,anemia,vitamin deficiency,Irritable bowel syndrome.

You should start Biotin tablet for your hair regrowth.

Also try OTC Rogaine lotion to prevent further hair loss.

You should eat fibre rich diet.

And start metamucil and probiotic.

Also hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

You should do deep breathing exercises,meditation.

Make sure you get enough protein, calcium and greens in your diet.

Avoid hair color, hot combs and chemical hair straightening.

Also cognitive behavioral therapy,psychotherapy to relieve stress,mood swings.

I wouldn't recommend to use progesterone cream.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Kumar,Thank you for your extensive response. I have done a thyroid test (blood test) and everything came back normal, is there a separate test for thyroid dysfunction? However, my blood tests showed that I have anaemia, for which I am on iron pills on now. It also showed my blood sugar is too low and that my kidney function is slightly off. Any thoughts?Currently I am taking a B-vitamin complex, two hair growth supplements: Hairfinity by Brock Beauty (contains Biotin amongst other things, like MSM) and Hair & Nails by Dragon Herbs (it is completely herb-based). I am also taking garlic supplements as I read it helps prevent hair loss. I am also taking Evening Primrose oil capsules because I read this is helpful for hormone production as it contains healthy fats. What are your thoughts on this?I will definitely look into metamucil. Is there a specific brand you would recommend for probiotics?I have started to do yoga, and I will start seeing a counsellor soon. Hopefully that will help with my mood.You don't think any of this is caused by a hormone imbalance? Like oestrogen dominance?

Thanks for the follow-up.

You are taking every thing good.

As you are so young so estrogen dominance is less likely.

You can buy any brand of probiotic.

Anemia can be contributing to hair fall.

You should continue your iron pills.

And eat lots of fruits and green leafy vegetables.

Also take small meals throughout the day to regulate your blood sugar levels.

Keep a positive attitude.

I wish for your good health.

If your symptoms'll persist then see an Endocrinologist for further evaluation and management.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Kumar,I just wanted to ask something regarding the thyroid test. I read somewhere that a salivary thyroid test is more accurate than a blood test because in blood tests it can often be the case that the patient is developing some kind of thyroid dysfunction but it's just not showing. Also, is there a way to see the levels of estrogen to progesterone in my body, just to see everything is in balance?Thank you.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Both thyroid blood tests, as well as saliva-based tests can be valuable.

Although saliva-based tests are accurate and becoming more popular, they still aren’t being used by most medical doctors.

Saliva based tests have some limitations recently however in future they are more considerable.

You can go for serum estradiol and progesterone tests.

Kind Regards
Dr.Anil