healingtouches
healingtouches, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US Trained, Board certifications in Echocardiography, Vascular Ultrasound, Nuclear Cardiology, Cardiac CT, Cardiology and Internal Medicine
54460990

Having been diagnosed with a t I a on 28th sept have

Customer Question

having been diagnosed with a t I a on 28th sept have continuous pins and needles traveling around my body not happening when I'm in bed is this a normal after effect I'm traveling to Italy this Saturday 8th
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that should read tia
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
apologies my question was for a neurologist or cardiologist

ok I will opt out to leave your question for neurologist or cardiologist

Good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I had just paid for an urgent response
Expert:  healingtouches replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can understand your concerns as a cardiologist

how was the TIA diagnosed?

did you have a TEE? (transesophageal echo)

The most important thing would be to see what caused the TIA, to rule out a cardiac source, a TEE would be indicated to make sure there is not a small hole in the heart. The symptoms that you are experiencing are not typical of a TIA, since classically symptoms of a TIA last less than 24 hours. You can travel, but I would advise Aspirin 325mg daily until a full cardiac evaluation.

Please let me know if I can help you with any other questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If not a tia what is the most likely cause ? initially I had weakness on my left side, with facial numbness, left arm had pins & needles.
Also difficulty in movement of left leg

has the weakness completely resolved?

If not, you probably have had an actual stroke, not just a TIA.

Initial imaging of the head doesn't always reveal this.

If you are still experiencing symptoms, it's not a cause for alarm, but you need follow up imaging with MRI of the brain, physical therapy and someone who can follow your care to see what caused this in the first place.

Are you connected with a neurologist locally?

important imaging would be a TEE as I mentioned above, as well as an ultrasound of your carotid arteries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had an ultrasound of the carotids - all clear
Should I ask my GP to refer for a TEE

absolutely, 2 reasons for a TEE - one is to make sure that you don't have clots in the heart, second is to make sure that you don't have a hole in the heart.

I wish you best of luck.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end and then submitting your rating as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards :)

If you're satisfied, please rate the experience and accept the answer so that I can be credited with helping you today.
I will still be available to chat and clarify things even after you have accepted the answer.
Kindest Regards, *****

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Warm regards,