wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have a small bump on the roof of my mouth that grows and

Hi, I have a small bump on the roof of my mouth that grows and shrinks but never completely goes away. I've had it for over 6 weeks and I'm at a loss as to what it may be. The lump is always painless and when it grows it becomes quite hard and when it shrinks it feels a little softer.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Is it possible to get a picture?

When it shrinks do you taste anything in your mouth as if it were draining?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't taste anything or notice any fluids being drained. Photo attached, apologies for poor quality but it can be seen on the right hand side.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. The picture is pretty good for how hard it is to photograph the inside of your mouth ;)

It looks like a cyst. This can be caused by a large number of things such as a foreign body (bone sliver, food chunk etc) getting stuck in the tissue, infection, anatomical abnormality etc.

A visit to a DDS should easily be able to get to the root cause of this lesion and get it fixed.

I very much doubt that this, given what you have posted, is anything scary like a tumor etc.

But, since this has been going on for over a month it is obvious that the bump is not going to resolve on its own.....so get into see your dentist.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS