Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I am thinking to try 5-HTP to treat mild depression and help

Customer Question

I am thinking to try 5-HTP to treat mild depression and help with sleep problems.
I wondered is this supplement known to be safe and are there any interactions with asthma / allergy medicine.
I read that too much seratonin can damage the heart.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 10 months ago.

Dear customer,

This supplement is likely to be safe in majority of people, though there are safety concerns since in a few patients it has been associated with complications, however whether the complications were due to the supplement itself or other factor is still not clear. Therefore because of this concern informing your doctor before taking 5-HTP, and also making sure you get the supplement from a reliable manufacturer is recommended. There are presently no known interactions between medications used to treat asthma/allergy. Too much serotonin can cause a complication known as serotonin syndrome, that is the reason you must take this supplement under your doctor's supervision and at the recommended dosage.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

May you be happy, successful, and healthy.