Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

On 18 8 16 I had a total knee replacement but as well as

on 18 8 16 I had a total knee replacement but as well as osteoarthritis I had synovitis now 7 weeks on my knee is burning just the same as before would it be possible for me at this stage to have a complete synovectomy
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
go ahead
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

If you had a total knee replacement then you do not have any synovial tissue to remove.....everything was cut out to put in your artificial knee.

I suggest you contact your knee surgeon and see if she can figure out why you are having this burning pain again.

make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am another expert here.

I am sorry about your knee burning pain after total knee replacement.

did a total synovectomy help your pain before?

it sounds like you are looking for relief of burning pain after surgery.

icing your knee with an ice pack or bag of ice daily for 20-40 minutes 4-8 times a day can help decrease inflammation and pain

you may need stronger pain medications than co codamol. how many are you taking a day?

there are nerve pain medication like neurontin or lyrica which could help decrease nerve pain in your knee

let me know if you have quesitons.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Love. The system says that you have requested a different expert.

I disagree with the first expert that they would have already removed the synovial tissue. It certainly is possible that a complete synovectomy can be done at the same time as the knee replacement, but it is not always done. There also is evidence that performing both surgeries at the same time has a higher risk of complications, so there usually would need to be a specific reason for the complete synovectomy to be done at the same time as the knee replacement. Since you are asking the question, that would also support that a complete synovectomy was done.

If a complete synovectomy was not done at the time of the knee replacement, then it is possible that it can be considered subsequently, but the surgeon will usually prefer to have more healing from the knee replacement before considering a complete synovectomy. It would usually be preferable to use medicines to ease symptoms, although I see that you cannot take anti-inflammatory medicines.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at what stage could a complete synovectomy be done would a rheumatologist be able to recommend a antiflamitory for me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at what stage could a complete synovectomy be don and would this get rid of the inflamed lining

Since you have given me a negative rating, I will opt out and hopefully another expert will be more satisfactory to you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Thank you for the positive rating.

What anti-inflammatory medicine did you have problems with previously?

What adverse reaction did you have?