Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have to do a CDT blood test for my driving license to be

I have to do a CDT blood test for my driving license to be renewed , I have been a heavy drinker in the past and failed six months ago with a reading of 4.7 I have now stopped drinking altogether, how long does it take to get my reading back to a normal level of under 1.7 not drinking at all
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Typically, if someone does not have liver disease, abstinence for 3 weeks is sufficient for the CDT to return to <1.7%. Many people will become normal within 2 weeks, but it takes 3 weeks for better certainty that you will be back to normal.

The issue, of course, is that many people that regularly use alcohol also develop liver disease, and if liver disease is present, that can also affect the CDT. But if you do not have any liver disease, then it would take 2-3 weeks for the test to return to normal.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you blood tests for liver function have come back normal but I do have a fatty liver and i seem to process alcohol in my body better than others

If the liver blood tests are normal and the liver is healthy enough to metabolize alcohol normally, then you should be normal within 2-3 weeks.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.