Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I'm concerned about my partner who is 73 years old. He

Hi! I'm concerned about my partner David who is 73 years old. He received a Bowel Cancer test kit at the beginning of August. The result came back as "unclear". David told me had noticed maroon coloured blood on the tip of the leading edge of his stool when completing the test. He went to his GP who advised him to complete the 2nd repeat test organised by the screening programme and also sent him off for blood tests to check for anaemia which came back fine. The 2nd bowel test came back clear though D admitted to me that he had seen blood on a stool but had not taken the sample from that part of the stool. He received a 3rd kit which also came back clear. Over a 2 month period (August and Sept) D has had 7 episodes where he has noticed blood. We both went to the GP 10 days ago. The GP gave him a rectal examination to check for piles - no sign but he said D was very constipated. (D has had a problem with constipation for the last 3 months. He has a good diet (Lots of fruit and veg) but not enough liquid so is now increasing fluids. The GP prescribed a laxative which gave D bad diarrhoea for the last 4 days so he has been unable to check stools for over a week. (The one stool he has checked since seeing the GP has been OK.) The GP has asked him to come back if any sign of blood, in 4 weeks. I am concerned that the weeks are going by and that this has now continued for over 2 months (it will be 3 months by the time we next see the GP.) I am surprised the GP has not referred him to the hospital for a procedure (colonoscopy?) to investigate further. Am I right to be concerned? Many thanks in anticipation of your help. Sheila
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Has he had a colonoscopy before? At what age and what were the results?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello No, he has never had a colonoscopy. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Re offer of telephone conversation - no thanks - prefer email.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

In that case, your concerns are justified and a colonoscopy needs to be done as soon as possible to detect the cause for the bleeding. Just relying on the result of stool blood test is not sufficient. Also when your partner has seen the blood a number of times now there was no need for the blood testing and he should have been taken up for colonoscopy examination immediately. Blood in the stool may be due to many causes and not necessarily due to cancer. However the cause has to be determined.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.