wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I had a full hysterectomy about 11 weeks ago. It was

Customer Question

Hi there. I had a full hysterectomy about 11 weeks ago. It was abdominal not key hole. I have made a good recovery. I had big probs with constipation but have found good relief by Haines golden linseed on my breakfast and this makes me regular.
Last night me and hubby had intercouse. This was about th e 7 time since the op and everything had been fine up until last night when we had intercouse. At the time I felt I bit of pain at the top of my vagina. After intercouse the pain came from above my pubic bone in my lower abdomen.This then felt like really bad trapped wind which became unbearable. My husband said he'd take me to hospital in case he had heart me. I could hardly stand. The pain then got so bad and eminated all over my abdomen inside. I had intermittent intense sharp pain which then travelled from my lower abdomen up to my ribs and down my side. These came in waves while I had the terrible pain lower down where it all started. It felt as if my intestines were in spasm? I was in agony!hubby called an ambulance but was told ther was an hour wait so he took me himself. I was writhing in agony. To cut a story short the hospital gave me morning at first and I then went on to had a swab of the top of my vagina, an internal (which hurt when the doc touched the top of my vagina inside), and a scan which was ok. We're was clear although I had problems weeing and it came out in small amount when I have been weeing larger amount and have had no probs up until last night. I felt that there was a lot of pressure down below and I coul not feel my bladder as much. I was discharged last night with some pain killers and told to rest. This morning I feel washed about and my pain has gone although I still feel pressure and bloated in my lower abdomen and uncomfortable with this. I have mild pain when I put a little pressure on the outside. I'd like to know if this is something that can happen later after the op and what you think caused this. Thanks Paula
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Paula,

Do you have copies of the clinical notes from the hospital you can upload? I would be happy to go over what the doctors found and explain what was going on.

It does sound, however, like you are going to be fine in the long run and no damage was done.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi. No I don't have immediate access. Can you answer my question with the info I gave you. It's a comprehensive tale as to what happened plus I have included what the results were. Could you please answer my questions using what I have given you? Thank you

Sure....

yes. This is something that can happen after an abdominal hysterectomy. From what you have posted, the doctors ruled out any surgical or post-op complications that might be serious.

It is difficult to say exactly what caused this episode but it is good that you are feeling better today.

So. What should you do?

I suggest you refrain from intercourse for now. Call your surgeon on Monday and ask her what she suggests you do. I would expect that she will want you to come into the office for a follow-up exam. During this visit she should be able to consul you on sexual activity etc.

The good news?

I bet that, in the end, you will be back to normal and doing fine.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS