wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have a history of 8 to 12 months of a pulsating feeling in

Customer Question

I have a history of 8 to 12 months of a pulsating feeling in the vulvar area. This feeling is there almost constantly although it changes with intensity and also place.
I was tagged with vulvodynia, but the gynaecologist on examination, could not find anything abnormal. All my infection swabs were negative at the GUM clinic and the ultrasound reports were also normal.
I don't know what direction to go with further investigations or treatments. This throbbing is significantly decaying the quality of my life.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

When does this throbbing occur?

Can you feel any twitching etc?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no twitching (anything like the eye twitching, or muscle twitching). It is more like a pulsating feeling and it's there all the time. The intensity though varies. Sometimes I get a couple of hours break during the day. Sometimes it feels less at night and in the morning, and sometimes it feels unbearable, but it always there. I am happy when it feels more in the background so I can ignore it. The feeling starts from inside and most of the times it resonates to my vulvar area especially the left side of it, and sometimes when it feels really strong it resonates till my anus.
Medical problems: I have half thyroid removed, so the only medication I take is 75mg levothyroxine daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was given amitriptyline. I stopped taking it after 8 weeks because it didn't help with my problem. Amitriptyline only made drowsy all day, I was like a vegetable, and gained a lot of weight.
The GP also gave me gabapentin.... didn't help.
I tried acupuncture, it didn't help.
I tried bowen therapy ,didn't help.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

In the USA, the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the UK and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

This is what I would if I, or one of my family members, were in the situation you are in.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS