wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have a question about a recent mri I had for nerve pain

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question about a recent mri I had for nerve pain and dizziness
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
During my romberg test, I continually fall to the right hand side, forward and back. I have trigemal neuralgia type pain regularly on the left hand side of my face and also pain in the left chest area and left shoulder and into left hand. I have tingling and numbness in my left arm, hand and fingers. I had a trauma accident as a child and wanted to know if I can send an image or 2 from my mri scan for you to have a look at? Thanking you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have added some images and my physiotherapist and GP referred me to neurology to rule out syringomyelia / chari malformations. Do my scans indicate this as the left side is different from the right and would that explain my symptoms?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 9 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

When was the MRI done?

Do you have the radiologists report?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi,The MRI was done last week and the report will be sent onto my neurologist, so I haven't got the report yet.
They also ordered and EEG which was done last week due toabsense spells and dizziness, this report is also pending. Taking Nerve Pain relief medications. Thanks
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

From the images you have uploaded I can not see anything that shows your right side is different than your left that would explain your symptoms.

The good news? The radiologist will be able to, with her computer system and hi definition screens, see the scans in more detail. As such, her report will be able to see if there is anything causing your symptoms.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you explain in more detail? Image 4 and image 1 show a clear difference between the left and the right side around the cerebellum area and cerebral fluid. Does this make sense?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.

You should leave the interpretation of your MRI to the experts......that is what they are paid, and trained to do.

Our bodies are not perfect mirror images. Also, cuts on the scans do not always go right down the middle.

There is no need for you to be worried from what I can see in the images you provided.
Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience: Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City