Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have a history of ibs symptoms and food intolerances as

I have a history of ibs symptoms and food intolerances as well as a possible stomach ulcer (2 years ago). Two weeks ago I was away on business and had to eat a lot of the foods I find difficult but thankfully no major upsets, I do sometimes still eat foods containing these ingredients. On Thursday afternoon I started to get quite painful cramps across the belly button area I went to the toilet and passed my standard faeces. I was hungry at the time. The pain came and went for another hour and after starting to eat passed. This repeated on Friday along with passing mucus (as I sometimes do) later in the evening. Saturday morning approx 1 hr after waking the cramps were sharp at times and lasted approx. 10mins - went to the toilet and passed a smaller but still formed faeces, then lots of gas. Put a hot water bottle on and had something to eat. Fine for rest of day including when hungry at dinner. Approx. 11 pm tonight ( Saturday) I started eating a snack as hungry. Pain started again maybe 10mins hot water bottle on and passed small amounts of gas. Could hear noises and feel spasms from naval area. No faeces on this occasion and passed wind several times approx 1hr later. What's going on? Haven't had the pain in this area like this before. I have obviously looked up the Internet (! My mistake) and am concerned I could have an obstruction? Because of course that was one of the more worse case scenarios! But I'm still passing gas and for the last few months rarely pass faeces everyday rather every other. Help?!
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

So how long total have you had this?

any fever?

exact location of pain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This pain started Thursday afternoon. I'm uk based its now Sunday 1am. No fever. Pain just above belly button in a straight line across.

is it moving?

the pain that is. traveling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No when it comes it is in the same place each time

there are a few possibilities

1)a flare of IBS just different

2)appendicitis

3)viral infection

4)diverticulitis

I think you need to see a doctor for sure and get this checked

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

View Dr. Phil, MD’s profile - JustAnswer

www.justanswer.com

Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution. I've been an Expert on JustAnswer since December 2010, and I’m ready to answer your Medical questions.

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How quickly do you think I need to see a doctor? So not an intestinal obstruction? Would appendicitis go away and come back quite so intermittently with so many hours between?

1)within the next 12-24 hours

2)I doubt an obstruction if you are passing stool and gas

3)yes appendicitis can come and go like that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

welcome :)