KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
22767285

On Wednesday morning when I got out of bed, I felt a sharp

On Wednesday morning when I got out of bed, I felt a sharp burning pain at the bottom of my neck, mostly on the left side. The pain continued to get considerably worse throughout the day. I applied heat rub and took some painkillers however the pain got extremely bad, I was unable to even lay down because I was in agony no matter what position I put myself into. I couldn't move my head down, or from side to side without extreme pain and I ended up in A&E at midnight.
At A&E the doctor told me he thought I had possibly pulled a muscle. He prescribed me diazepam, co-codamol and ibuprofen. He prescribed me 6 diazepam tablets which helped considerably, although did not take the pain away completely.
On Friday morning I went to my local GP, as the pain was still there, especially when each diazepam tablet wore off. My GP would not prescribe me more diazepam as he said they are highly addictive. He prescribed me an ibuprofen muscle rub. The muscle rub did not help at all.
It's now 5 days since the pain started and it's still really sore. I can move my head a little more, although it's still painful to do so. I have been trying to keep it moving, because the doctor told me to keep active. I have been taking ibuprofen and cocodamol everyday - is this even safe? How long can I keep taking these pills?
The pain is now all over the top left of my back below the neck, my arm is quite sore and my shoulder as well.
My main question is can I keep taking cocodomal and ibuprofen, and could it be something other than a pulled muscle? It's very painful, and I handle most pain well.
I'm an active 31 year old female, with a busy physical job. I have no other health problems apart from IBS which I manage with a healthy diet.
Any advice appreciated
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Thanks for your question. I will be happy to help. Do you know the dosages of the medications you are taking?

It certainly is possible it could be more than just a pulled muscle. There is a chance that there could be a pinched nerve in your neck as well. However, typically the management would be conservative as long as there are no "red flags" when a doctor examines and takes a full history.

If you know the doses of your medications, that will be helpful to give you some guidance regarding the medications.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
HiYes, the diazepam was 2mg (I had 6 pills - finished those)
The ibuprofen is 400mg per tablet (I've been taking 3 per day)
The cocodamol says 30/500mg (I've been taking 8 of those per day)

Did the prescription say you could take up to 2 of the cocodamol per dose, meaning each time you take the medication?

As far as the Ibuprofen goes, there is not very high risk with that dosage. Stomach irritation and ulcer formation would be the main concern, and you may not want to take more than a week or 2 without discussing this with your doctor. However, again you are not taking a high dose of the ibuprofen at this time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it said 2 per does, up to 8 per day
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would you advise me seeing my GP again, I just don't want to waste their time if it's simply a pulled muscle which I guess will get better with time? I have pulled a muscle in my leg before however, and in no way was the pain as severe as this

OK. It certainly is a high dose of Codeine (the 30mg component of cocodamol). You are also at a maximum dose of the paracetamol. If the pain is severe and not getting better in the near future, you should talk to your GP.

Sometimes antiinflammatory steroid medications can help with these types of issues, and you might benefit from some physical therapy as well.

Given the frequent use and high dose of the cocodamol that you are taking, I think your doctor should at least be aware that you have been taking this and that the pain is not getting better.

Please let me know if you have more questions. If this has been helpful, make sure to rate me highly! Bonuses always appreciated.

KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much for your advice, I will make an appointment to see my GP this week. Many thanks.

Best wishes.