KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
22767285

My wife has been diagnosed with Bell's palsy, she got

My wife has been diagnosed with Bell's palsy, she got earache and her face began dropping on her left side 10 days ago we went to hospital where the diagnosis was made, they gave her steroids which she has taken along with pain killers which she is taking, she is 10 days into the problem and she feels it's getting worse as shown when you look at her and hear her speak, she isn't sleeping as the pain in her head is getting worse as her husband I've never seen her like this and can't believe that she should be left in so much pain we don't know whether we should be going back to hospital she is in a great deal of pain behind her ear inside her head help please
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 7 months ago.

Hi. Thanks for your question. I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S. I will be happy to help.

Pain can be seen in Bell's Palsy, and it actually is often located behind the ear. However, that degree of pain is unusual for Bell's Palsy.

It sounds as though she is having so much pain that it would be worthwhile to have her see a doctor, if for nothing else but to get the pain under control.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She is in a lot of pain the pain killers given don't seem to hae any effect the pain is constant with occasional severe stabbing pain behind the ear

Of course, the option would also exist for the doctors to perform a brain imaging scan (such as MRI) to make sure they are not missing anything, especially if the facial weakness is getting worse.

The treating doctors would need to consider changing the medication to another if it is not providing any relief. Therefore, to answer your question, I do think your wife should be seen by a doctor again to reevaluate the situation.

Please let me know if there are more questions. If this has been helpful, please rate me highly. Bonuses always appreciated. Best of luck to you and your wife.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is getting worse and to simply go to the doctors is not easy you have to go on a time scale which usually ranges from a wee even to a couple of months and all they say is they can't do anything about the waiting so should I take her back to hosptal

Yes, in that case I would advise going back to the hospital.

The degree of pain, and the worsening of the weakness are not typical for Bell's Palsy.

KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you goodnight

If a brain scan was not performed, it may be something to consider. You are welcome. Good luck.